Of the 24 lawyers recognized at the ceremony, 18 were graduates of USC Law, including 1973 alumnus Jay Bender, who is now a USC Law faculty member, and 1985 alumnus John Shannon Nichols, with Bluestein, Nichols, Thompson & Delgado, LLC, who won “Lawyer of the Year” honors.
Other winners include:
- The Honorable Bruce W. Bannister, Bannister & Wyatt, LLC (Class of 1998)
- Cynthia Durham Blair, Rogers, Townsend & Thomas, PC (Class of 1992)
- James “Wally” W. Fayssoux, Jr., Fayssoux Law Firm, PA (Class of 1999)
- Henry Mills Gallivan, Gallivan, White & Boyd, PA (Class of 1976)
- John A. Hagins, Jr., Covington, Patrick, Hagins, Stern & Lewis, PA (Class of 1963)
- Steven W. Hamm, Richardson Plowden & Robinson, PA (Class of 1977)
- Richard A. Harpootlian, Richard A. Harpootlian, PA (Class of 1974)
- John T. Lay, Gallivan, White & Boyd, PA (Class of 1991)
- Gary W. Poliakoff, Poliakoff and Assoicates, PA (Class of 1977)
- Margaret C. Pope, Pope Zeigler, LLC (Class of 1975)
- James K. Price, Nexsen Pruet, LLC (Class of 1982)
- Andrew John Savage, III, Savage Law Firm (Class of 1975)
- Jack B. Swerling, Attorney at Law (Class of 1973)
- Billy Walker, Walker & Morgan, LLC (Class of 1973)
- James “Jay” L. Ward, Jr., Richardson, Patrick, Westbrook & Brickman, LLC (Class of 1997)
- Daniel B. White, Gallivan, White & Boyd, PA (Class of 1976)
Two of the winners, Blair and Hamm, were also chosen to receive the School of Law’s 2013 Compleat Lawyer Award, and will be recognized at a special ceremony on Thursday, April 25.
“We’re proud that so many of this year’s honorees are our graduates,” said Rob Wilcox, dean of the School of Law. “Their many accomplishments have made South Carolina a better place for all to live, and this award stands as a tribute to the excellence of all of our alumni.”
According to South Carolina Lawyer’s Weekly, the Leadership in Law awards were created to spotlight those within the legal community who are working to better the legal profession through mentoring and involvement within their community as well as going above and beyond in their everyday job. This is the fifth year the awards have been held.