Google Says Driverless Cars Involved in 11 ‘Minor’ Accidents in 6 Years

– WALL STREET JOURNAL, MAY 11 2015, FEAT. PROF. BRYANT WALKER SMITH:

Google said Monday that its self-driving cars had been involved in 11 “minor” accidents in the past six years, a disclosure the company hopes will assuage concern about the safety of the technology, but may have the opposite effect.

Chris Urmson, head of Google’s self-driving car program, said in a blog post that the accidents caused no injuries and only “light damage.” Google’s cars were not the cause of any of the incidents, he added. He said Google’s cars had driven 1.7 million miles over the period.

< Read more >